Welcome to Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve ®
Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve® is located within San Diego city limits and yet remains one of the wildest stretches of land on our Southern California coast! Because of the efforts and foresight of the people in this area, 1,500 acres of land are as they were before San Diego was developed — including the maritime chaparral, the rare Torrey pine, miles of unspoiled beaches, and a lagoon that is vital to migrating seabirds. One can imagine what California must have looked like to the early settlers, or to the Spanish explorers, or even to the first California residents here, the Kumeyaay people.
Torrey Pines is visited by travelers from all over the world and by local residents who come daily to rest at the stunning overlooks, walk a peaceful trail, or exercise in a clean, beautiful environment. Come spend some time at beautiful Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve.
While you do, please keep in mind that a reserve is not a park. A natural reserve status is assigned to an area of importance, and typically is one that contains threatened plants, animals, habitats, or unique geological formations. As such, a reserve is a protected area targeted for conservation and carries with it restrictions that are not found in parks. Of the 279 units in the California State Park system, only 14 have reserve status and Torrey Pines is one of them.
Please take special care to preserve the Reserve and keep it for now and forever. Very briefly, please take note that in this Reserve:
- No food or drink, except water, is allowed in the Reserve above the beach. Food, of course, is fine on the beach (no alcohol).
- Dogs are not permitted anywhere.
- “Pack it in-pack it out” starting from the beach parking lot. There are no trash cans in the upper Reserve. There are no trash cans along the beach. Trash and recycling bins or dumpsters are available in the beach parking lots.
- No smoking
- Groups of more than 25 visitors need a permit
- Drones are not allowed anywhere in the Reserve or Beach. Learn more.